Old 19-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Chookie

Default How are the vegies, everyone?

I planted some more seedlings ahead of the supposed heavy rain, which has now
become showers, and by tomorrow will probably be occasional light showers...
sigh. Today I planted a few more punnets' worth of seeds, and did a bit of
direct sowing. Here's the list:

Mixed brassicas and a few lettuces (both seedlings and seeds)
Climbing snow peas
Spinach
Black Spanish radishes
Beetroot
Chives

Also, Global Garden Planting Guide said to plant seeds of:
Capsicum
Chilli
Tomato

So I did, but I wouldn't have bothered without my new heating pad. I've tried
planting seeds in punnets in Jul/Aug and they come up, but grow very, very
slowly, even in a warm sunny position. My later seedlings invariably overtake
them. We'll see what happens to this lot. I'm keen on early capsicums and
tomatoes as late ones cop fruit fly (apart from last year, when it was so dry
we didn't get fruit fly... or many tomatoes, because of lack of moisture!).

In the vegie patch, the rhubarb crowns have struck, broad beans are in flower,
and one trellis of peas is doing really well, though not yet flowering. The
brassicas have been very slow to grow (sunshine and warmth balanced out by
high winds and water restrictions). And there is heaps of parsley.

Pulled a few carrots out from a patch I planted last spring. OK, they're
painfully slow to grow and didn't look too flash, but the TASTE... even if
carrots are $1.60/kg, it's worth growing more. The new lot I planted aren't
up yet.

How are the other vegie patches going?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet