Old 20-07-2004, 06:10 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default root barriers -- protecting property from neighbor's trees

That is also my understanding of ornamental trees. As a landscaper, I
plant quite a few under the existing canopy, if one exists. They don't
have the mass, structure and roots that non-ornamentals have.

Rusty Mase wrote:
=

On 19 Jul 2004 08:37:55 -0700, (Frank)
wrote:
Sir, you are correct -- that property is more at risk, and that is
what I mentioned in a letter to the actual property owner (it is a
rental property).

=

Sorry Frank, I was being a little "sporting" on with my post. The
probability of a mid-sized ornamental tree developing a root system
that does physical damage to your slab and your utilities is
exceedingly low. Ornamental trees seldom survive for more than
several dozen years and their root systems do not have time to do
subsurface damage.
=

If the neighbor had planted, for instance, a Eucalyptus tree or some
other large tree species, then you might have concerns over limbs
falling on your house - and that would be a real worry. I have only
seen full-sized Eucalyptus trees in California and they are too big
and potentially destructive for me - at least one of the species I
have seen is.
=

So, my advice would be to ignore it and enjoy the tree. After all,
you will be supplying some of the water the tree is using and you
might just defer to the possibility it will be a "neighborly" asset.
=

Rusty Mase
Paisano Industries LLP
http://www.paisano.com

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal