Old 20-07-2004, 05:02 PM
San Diego Joe

Default Pickeral Rush

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:

Jim has an Oscar in his office aquarium (70 gal). It lives in a steady
74-78 degree temp. It eats extra mosquito fish that he traps from the
pond...keeping the gambusia population down by having the Oscar eat
them...with an intermediate step. The office Oscar also loves catfish food.
When it was young, it would lie on its side when we approached the tank,
sending the message that it was a dead fish or perhaps a leaf and therefore
not worth eating. We cold run it in the pond, but don't think we could get
it out in the fall. How did you trap yours to bring it in in the fall?

I bought a roll of bird netting, the same kind people use to keep herons out
of the pond. It's about 8'-10' wide. Starting at one side of my pond, I
placed large rocks on one edge of the netting, then unrolled it across my
pond. I used a few smaller rocks to help sink the netting down - it didn't
need to go all the way to the bottom. So basically, it went from one side to
another about two feet below the surface. Then I just sat where I usually
feed the fish. The Oscar was, as usual, the first to show up to be fed. I
lifted up my end of the net and had him.

Voila!

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.