Old 20-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Rusty Mase

Default root barriers -- protecting property from neighbor's trees

On 20 Jul 2004 06:40:29 -0700, (Frank)
wrote:

.........The different Eucalyptus trees
are ranked either moderate or low on the same page. I've so far been
unsuccessful in finding a web site that actually focuses in detail on
the root damage potential of different trees and how their roots
actual grow.

Yes, I did not see much root damage from them, just limb fall. But
that was a grove of old trees in an older neighborhood. I was leery
of just walking under them.

The worst tree that I know of for potential root damage is eastern
cottonwood:
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/treedetail.lasso?rid=1131
And this site lists it as having a high potential. So I can believe
that.

Then again, this site lists this pear as growing to 50' high
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/treedetail.lasso?rid=1215
at a rate of up to 3' per year. Somebody put it on steroids! Pear
trees to me are like 20' high for really big ones. Then again, those
pear trees are either grown for fruit or decorate landscape islands in
shopping center parking lots. OK, some fruitless pear trees end up in
the yards of really misguided folks.

However, if this pear tree in this location is going to damage
anything then it will get your neighbors house a long time before it
can do anything to yours and your neighbor will eliminate it. We are
talking years here. So, if in 10 years the tree is growing that big
and you are still worried about it, rent a Ditch Witch and trench a 4"
wide, 2' deep trench inside your property line and disconnect any
roots running in your direction. The trench would not have to be
long, say 20' as the major roots will radiate out from the trunk. You
could even dig a smaller test trench with a shovel is a couple of
years just to check things out. You can take an axe to any roots on
the surface.

You have time to watch this situation and react accordingly in the
future. A rebar reinforced concrete root barrier is not necessary,
especially now, as roots can be easily controlled by much simpler and
cheaper methods.

Rusty Mase
Paisano Industries LLP
http://www.paisano.com