Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Roger Boughner

Default Dendrobium Spike cutting?

Thanks Diana. Thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure. All my info on Den's
is from Orthos All About Orchids. So far I have been saving Orchids from the
closeout shelf at the Lowes around the corner. 50% off and I have been able
to keep them all alive so far. 5 phals, 3 dens and a cataleya. Trying to
grow some baby phals from the nodes I cut.

Thanks
Roger
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi, Roger, and welcome to orchids! No, the Dend spike will not keiki like

Phal, at least not in my experience. On the other hand, lots of my Dends
keiki from the canes.

When you're sure the spike is gone, just use a sterile blade or new single
edged razor blade to cut it back as far as possible without harming the
cane. Oh, and BTW, if the canes lose leaves don't automatically cut them
off. Dends will bloom on bare canes, if they are healthy ones.

HTH

Diana