Old 19-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Roger Boughner

Default Dendrobium Spike cutting?

I am fairly new to orchids and was wondering what to do with the dying
flower spike. It is turning yellow and all the flowers have wilted. Where
should it be cut and can it be propagated like the phalanopisis spikes? All
of my orchids are rescues from Lowes shelf of dying plants. Since Mothers
day i have collected 6 phals, 3 dendrobiums and 1 cataleya.

Thanks
Roger

Old 19-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Roger, and welcome to orchids! No, the Dend spike will not keiki like a
Phal, at least not in my experience. On the other hand, lots of my Dends
keiki from the canes.

When you're sure the spike is gone, just use a sterile blade or new single
edged razor blade to cut it back as far as possible without harming the
cane. Oh, and BTW, if the canes lose leaves don't automatically cut them
off. Dends will bloom on bare canes, if they are healthy ones.

HTH

Diana

Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Roger Boughner

Thanks Diana. Thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure. All my info on Den's
is from Orthos All About Orchids. So far I have been saving Orchids from the
closeout shelf at the Lowes around the corner. 50% off and I have been able
to keep them all alive so far. 5 phals, 3 dens and a cataleya. Trying to
grow some baby phals from the nodes I cut.

Thanks
Roger
nk.net...

Old 21-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:25:37 -0500, "Roger Boughner"
wrote:

Thanks Diana. Thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure. All my info on Den's
is from Orthos All About Orchids. So far I have been saving Orchids from the
closeout shelf at the Lowes around the corner. 50% off and I have been able
to keep them all alive so far. 5 phals, 3 dens and a cataleya. Trying to
grow some baby phals from the nodes I cut.

Thanks
Roger

Den canes laid on their side in a bed of sphagnum moss will
SOMETIMES keiki. Sometimes you have just killed it. I would not
try it unless you have a plant go rootless. Then lay it down and
try to root or keiki it.
SuE
Old 21-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Roger Boughner

thanks for the tip Susan.
i had read you could do that but they didnt mention the killed part. i am
unde the impression you can divide them and create new plants. thought i
would try this first. but not before next year. i want them to grow some
first. that way if i kill them i will know i did it.

Roger

Old 21-07-2004, 10:09 PM
wendy7

Welcome to our group Roger & just want to say that I can tell you
have been bitten by the Orchid Fever Bug!!!!
Since you have saved plants & got them growing you are going to
do well with this wonderful hobby. Get yourself to an Orchid Society Meeting
this will help you in the long run. I wish I had done so when I first
started.
Good luck.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 22-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:40:12 -0500, "Roger Boughner"
wrote:

thanks for the tip Susan.
i had read you could do that but they didnt mention the killed part. i am
unde the impression you can divide them and create new plants. thought i
would try this first. but not before next year. i want them to grow some
first. that way if i kill them i will know i did it.

Roger

Definitely divide before. But if you have a single cane left
over when you divide, you could try this trick. I have had it
work and I have had it fail... it is kind of like growing a Cym
from one back bulb. You feel GLORIOUS when it works.
SuE

Old 28-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

thanks for the tip Susan.
i had read you could do that but they didnt mention the killed part. i am
unde the impression you can divide them and create new plants. thought i
would try this first. but not before next year. i want them to grow some
first. that way if i kill them i will know i did it.

Roger

Definitely divide before. But if you have a single cane left
over when you divide, you could try this trick. I have had it
work and I have had it fail... it is kind of like growing a Cym
from one back bulb. You feel GLORIOUS when it works.
SuE

how can one tell that a dendrobium is beginning to spike? J Fortuna Orchids 2 02-07-2006 03:47 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
cutting spike part-way a second time? J Fortuna Orchids 1 25-01-2004 11:32 AM
Cutting Phal. spike White Monkey Orchids 3 27-07-2003 04:12 PM