Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Jack Anderson

Default Black Widow

A few years ago, I captured a female Black Widow in a Mason jar, where it
lived well for several weeks on a diet of crickets, which I offered every
couple of days.
Apparently she had mated before her capture because eggs were laid and
hatched into hundreds of baby BWs complete with tiny orange hourglasses.
It was both fascinating and scary because the babies were small enough to
escape through the vent holes in the jar lid!
I decided it was time to get out of "spider farming", so I gave them away to
a friend who teaches science.

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
.com...
Siouxzi wrote:

Oh no... black widows are known to be extremely aggressive predators,
and they hate people with a passion. If you got close enough to notice
that the spider does indeed have a red hourglass on its belly, then
you're very lucky that the little witch didn't leap onto your face and
deliver a painful and inevitably fatal bite.

Painful, yes. "Inevitably fatal", no.

I shared my bathroom with one for weeks (it lived in the shower stall

and/or
beind the toilet bowl) and we got along fine.

- Susan

--
Susan Hogarth
"Congress doesn't seem to know anything about the Constitution, which IS