Old 22-07-2004, 12:02 AM
compo

Default To polytunnel or not?

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel and
can give us any advice or information?

I live in Caithness and have bought a tunnel this year. I still have a
small greenhouse, the tunnel being to replace a larger grenhouse that
had finished its useful life and rotted away.

I bought a Northern Polyunnel 18x24ft model. The reason being that a
friend has had one in Wick for many years now and is delighted with it.
I also know peole who live in a very exposed site on the edge of the
Flow Country and their tunnel has lasted four years on the same skin.

I think it is the way in which you site and erect your tunnel that gives
it stability. For my money a greenhouse is better and more permanent,
but of course more expensive. Whatever you choose, buy the best you can
afford, and if you choose a tunnel go for one with straight sides - you
can get more in and one thing I guarantee is that your
greenhouse/tunnell will not be big enough whatever size you choose -
mine isn't.

I don't have the Northern Polytunnel company's address to hand at the
moment but they do have a website. Email me if you want their phone
number etc. and I will look it out for you.

I am currently growing Maize, Toms, Peppers, Chillis, Melons, Beans,
Onions, salad stuff, hops and grapes in the tunnel. Not sure if I will
get a good crop off everything but gardening is all about trying things
out is it not? On Arran you will be able to grow a much wider selection
of stuff than I could ever hope for in the wilds of Caithness.

--
Cheers,

Compo.