Old 21-07-2004, 11:54 PM
SusieThompson

Default To polytunnel or not?

We are thinking about buying a 10x10 polytunnel for our new garden -
this is the largest we can fit into space available. It will be
situated on the southerly side of our home, and will get no shade at all
during the height of summer, but some shade in depths of winter.

The other option is, of course, a greenhouse, about 8x8 which we could
put up against the south facing wall of the house. This would get
exactly the same growing conditions, except that it would probably get
less shade in winter.

Both could be exposed to some of the gales that can blow in the valley
where we live. Here on the Isle of Arran we don't get too much snow and
the winter temperatures on the whole are fairly kind.

Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel and
can give us any advice or information? Is there maybe a helpful website
or two? Perhaps there's a good local supplier/manufacturer we can talk
to? Thanks a lot
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 22-07-2004, 12:02 AM
compo

The message
from SusieThompson contains these words:

Is there anybody out there living in Scotland who has a polytunnel and
can give us any advice or information?

I live in Caithness and have bought a tunnel this year. I still have a
small greenhouse, the tunnel being to replace a larger grenhouse that
had finished its useful life and rotted away.

I bought a Northern Polyunnel 18x24ft model. The reason being that a
friend has had one in Wick for many years now and is delighted with it.
I also know peole who live in a very exposed site on the edge of the
Flow Country and their tunnel has lasted four years on the same skin.

I think it is the way in which you site and erect your tunnel that gives
it stability. For my money a greenhouse is better and more permanent,
but of course more expensive. Whatever you choose, buy the best you can
afford, and if you choose a tunnel go for one with straight sides - you
can get more in and one thing I guarantee is that your
greenhouse/tunnell will not be big enough whatever size you choose -
mine isn't.

I don't have the Northern Polytunnel company's address to hand at the
moment but they do have a website. Email me if you want their phone
number etc. and I will look it out for you.

I am currently growing Maize, Toms, Peppers, Chillis, Melons, Beans,
Onions, salad stuff, hops and grapes in the tunnel. Not sure if I will
get a good crop off everything but gardening is all about trying things
out is it not? On Arran you will be able to grow a much wider selection
of stuff than I could ever hope for in the wilds of Caithness.

--
Cheers,

Compo.