Old 22-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Black Raspberry Bush

"Basia Kulesz" wrote in message ...
Użytkownik "Alan Gould" napisał w wiadomości
| In article , culle64 culle64.19
| writes
|
| Does anybody know where I can purchase a Black Raspberry Bush, I am in
| NW England ?...thanks.

[...]
Your best bet is probably to grow straight blackberries.

Look up this site for information on "true" black rspberries:
http://doityourself.com/fruits/blackcapbrambles.htm I had grown 'Bristol'
myself once.

This was interesting, so I did a short prowl on the net. What struck
me, apart from its apparent proneness to disease, was that although
everybody including a dictionary was calling _Rubus occidentalis_ a
'raspberry' it seemed in nearly all respects to be more a blackberry
than a raspberry, even down to a tip-rooting habit. The berries come
off hollow like raspberries; hence, I suppose, the alternative name
'thimbleberry'.

Could you who know the plant -- I don't think I'd ever heard of it
before -- explain, please?

Mike.