Old 22-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Rod

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:34:45 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

Not being entirely familiar with Belgium customs, I don't know whether I
will really need references to gain employment.
To be on the safe side, I'll get a few in any case. One firm have offered to
provide it in Dutch. Nice off them.
However, if I had to write a reference I'd be flummoxed, so I've felt a bit
awkward asking.
That said, over the years I've had a few and was left wondering is there
some special way of reading them, as in decoding.
The reason being that I can recall the distinct differences between
reference I've obtained from landlords and employers. (all horticultural

It's a difficult one, I've never seen one saying 'this guy's a pain in
the backside, a useless gardener and we're glad to see the back of
him'. Even though I've worked with some who should have been given
that kind of reference. So whichever side you're on they have to be
written or interpreted with great care and several pinches of salt.
OTOH a former workmate who I'd trust with my life has just given me a
glowing recommendation for a young guy who's living in a bail hostel
where she teaches horticulture to some of the inmates - she doesn't
know his offence/s, she doesn't ask them.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.