Old 22-07-2004, 12:42 AM
JennyC

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

"tuin man" wrote in message
Not being entirely familiar with Belgium customs, I don't know whether I
will really need references to gain employment.

snip

Now let's say one of those two is a university graduate.
What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.
Patrick

I think it's all luck of the draw really. Most references are either positive or
at worst non-committal, so they are not exactly the defining thing when
employers are looking for staff.

Your CV is far more important, and this must make a good impression before they
ever get around to reading the references. Short sharp and to the point with
maybe a photo so they can 'see' who you are (works for me).

Getting asked to an interview is vital, but then it really depends whether it
'clicks' between the personalities involved (she says, speaking from
experience!)

Good luck.
Jenny