Old 22-07-2004, 12:43 AM
tuin man

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:34:45 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

That said, over the years I've had a few and was left wondering is there
some special way of reading them, as in decoding.
The reason being that I can recall the distinct differences between
reference I've obtained from landlords and employers.

Firstly thank you Rod, Jenny and VivienB.

The last time I had to ask for a job related reference was ooooh... 1984.

Since then I've being more or less self employed, with one exception of a
short while working for a firm here in London, who I wouldn't ask for a
reference from, as I sure as hell wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The last job related reference I got did incorporate the fact that I had
being a foreman (being, or been... I always get them mixed up)

And so I guess if being a foreman entails the need to have initiative, so
then I guess it was implied.

Reading The Times recently, I saw an article where a firm provides odd-job
people. (0800handyman apparently) The unique characteristic of this firm was
hailed as being because two thirds of the employees are graduates and
several from Oxbridge.

The advantage of graduates doing this kind of work was because graduates are
inherently problem solvers! (Like the rest of us aren't?)

Total nonsense in my view. Well, as we all know, odd jobs can be quite
fiddly.

This got me thinking about the implied gaps which (I imagined, prior to
reading Jenny's outline of the process that I have being away from for a
long time), might arise between 2 identical reference but academic
differences

It is especially difficult to write a general-purpose reference (that
is not for a specific, known, potential employer), as you do not know
what is likely to be of most interest to a new employer.

Yes, this may explain the exactness and greater value of the landlord type