Old 22-07-2004, 08:07 AM
tuin man

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I used to write lots of work references at one time and I did it by
ommission so that everything that I _did_ write was positive, and any
negative points had to be inferred. Like if I made no mention of XXX's
timekeeping but mention that XXX had a good rapport with his workmates
that meant that XXX turned up for work late, skived off early and
spent the intervening time by the tea urn!

Yep, that's also what I'm after. Thank you to you too.
However, it does sound a bit problematic. The sucess of such an
approach, ---which is a bit like avoiding something you really don't want,
by voting in something else you also don't want,--- would seem to be
entirely dependant on everyone else speaking the same language, i.e. in
terms of decoding/translating.
You will probably therefore get a giggle out of;
http://www.dontmindme.com/2mis0331.html

Having already asked a friend about this matter prior to posting, she was
confident that there are plenty of 'how to write a reference' books in the
library.
Testimonials ---appears to be another name for reference.
Not being much of a library person I've opted for the net.
For those interested, here's the best of what I've found since my last post;
http://www.profitguide.com/howto/art...sp?content=605
Interersting to see that; 'To whom it may concern' is out

http://www.careerlab.com/letters/ within which there's;
http://www.careerlab.com/letters/chap08.htm

Presently, I have to assume that each post might well be my last.
In which case, though entirely off topic, I may as well throw in my own home
page for your amusement; though unless you're really into neuro-physiology
and / or swimming, I suggest you scroll down the menu to number "4 Things to
try to do and how to do them"
http://homepage.eircom.net/~comicaquatic/
if for nothing more than a laugh.

Personally I'm grounded from doing such things at present.
Last monday, whilst removing ivy from a roof (eves), the extension ladder I
was on went out from under me as it's feet skittered accross the yard.
It takes the first metre, or so, to even realise what's happening, then
another bit to formulate thoughts, let alone words, more direct than "oh
shame".
Then another bit to catch up on the previous 2.
The last thing I wanted, just as I had caught up on real time rather than
panic time and had calmly assessed the problem, as the ladder continued to
stutter down the wall very quickly indeed, was for the ladder to come to a
sudden abrupt stop (tilting sideways) as it crashed through a window (one of
those with lots of little windows. Tudor?)
Somehow, inspite of a narrow thread, along with the fact that I was wearing
sturdy boots, both feet went through together between the rungs and I got
flipped backwards.
Luckily I didn't snap both shins, but it was a close thing.
There I was, dangling upside down with both legs snared by the rungs, unable
to extract by legs because my boots were to big, in agonising pain to the
point of not being able to move to a position whereby I could undo my laces,
in great pain when the customer looks out the window and;
"Are you all right ?" He asks... sort off funny now.
Luckily he was there to undo the laces.
So, I'm currenty bandaged up, (imagine what happens to a watermelon if you
drop it!) with instructions not to get them wet. (my legs--- not the
watermelons) What a bummer.
Enjoy1

Patrick

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642