Old 22-07-2004, 01:07 PM
J Jackson

Default Black Raspberry Bush

Alan Gould wrote:
: In article , culle64 culle64.19
: writes
:
: Does anybody know where I can purchase a Black Raspberry Bush, I am in
: NW England ?...thanks.
:
: A loganberry is a cross between raspberry and a blackberry of US stock.
: Named after Judge Logan who found one growing in the wild. The fruits
: are bright red.

: A Tayberry is also a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry, but of
: Scottish Tayside stock. The fruits are a bit like a loganberry, but
: smaller and darker, though they are more purple than black.

: Other raspberry based crosses a

: Boysenberry - loganberry, raspberry and blackberry cross
: Veitchberry - raspberry and wild blackberry (bramble) cross
: Tummelberry - tayberry crossed with tayberry seedling - for cold areas

: Your best bet is probably to grow straight blackberries.

There are black raspberries.

A friend from the Czech republic sent me some seed and I managed to grow
some for 3/4 years before they died a deseased death - I was warned they
were very susceptible.

The canes had a bluish tinge. In first year they grew up as a single cane
and in second year they threw out strong/long side shoots that bore the
fruit.

The berries came off the hull cleanly when picked (hence in my book a
"raspberry"). The fruit I had was dry.

My friend didn't believe these were of american origin - from the googling
I've done, I think they were.

Anyway not a good experiment - but for 2 years I had yellow,
orange, red, maroon and black raspberries - which was fun.

Jim