Old 22-07-2004, 05:35 PM
tuin man

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

Not being entirely familiar with Belgium customs, I don't know whether I
will really need references to gain employment.
To be on the safe side, I'll get a few in any case. One firm have offered to
provide it in Dutch. Nice off them.
However, if I had to write a reference I'd be flummoxed, so I've felt a bit
awkward asking.
That said, over the years I've had a few and was left wondering is there
some special way of reading them, as in decoding.
The reason being that I can recall the distinct differences between
reference I've obtained from landlords and employers. (all horticultural
related)
The landlord versions quite clearly paint a picture of the ideal tenant. So
positive and adept, that I probably couldn't have come up with something so
good myself.
Employer references on the other hand are, if nothing else, a curiosity.
Though always quite positive, they more resemble how one might try to sell a
household pet. This is why I wonder about references decoding.
Is this a horticulture-culture thing?
In one instance I understood the reference was supposed to be good, but to
me, it was more like an insult.
I had, in effect on many occasions saved their bacon. This was possible
through a capacity for problem solving on my part, entailing loyalty,
team-spiritedness, imagination, skill, knowledge, etc and occasionally down
right ingenuity.
But what the reference focused on was something about being able to follow
instructions and loyalty. Woof woof!!
Now admittedly, this firm worked almost entirely through various
architectural firms and contracts provided were very detailed indeed, i.e.
outlining instructions from the architects.
It would be more fair to say it was the firm I worked for who were good at
following instructions.
I guess the reference provided was more about areas which they felt positive
about themselves.
A bit like the opposite of when someone transfers their failings unto you.
However, with hindsight there was one matter un-addressed which I did not
know about.
If two people get precisely the same reference, lets say quite good, though
a tad bland.
Now let's say one of those two is a university graduate.
What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.

Patrick