Old 22-07-2004, 05:35 PM
tuin man

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

Not being entirely familiar with Belgium customs, I don't know whether I
will really need references to gain employment.
To be on the safe side, I'll get a few in any case. One firm have offered to
provide it in Dutch. Nice off them.
However, if I had to write a reference I'd be flummoxed, so I've felt a bit
awkward asking.
That said, over the years I've had a few and was left wondering is there
some special way of reading them, as in decoding.
The reason being that I can recall the distinct differences between
reference I've obtained from landlords and employers. (all horticultural
related)
The landlord versions quite clearly paint a picture of the ideal tenant. So
positive and adept, that I probably couldn't have come up with something so
good myself.
Employer references on the other hand are, if nothing else, a curiosity.
Though always quite positive, they more resemble how one might try to sell a
household pet. This is why I wonder about references decoding.
Is this a horticulture-culture thing?
In one instance I understood the reference was supposed to be good, but to
me, it was more like an insult.
I had, in effect on many occasions saved their bacon. This was possible
through a capacity for problem solving on my part, entailing loyalty,
team-spiritedness, imagination, skill, knowledge, etc and occasionally down
right ingenuity.
But what the reference focused on was something about being able to follow
instructions and loyalty. Woof woof!!
Now admittedly, this firm worked almost entirely through various
architectural firms and contracts provided were very detailed indeed, i.e.
outlining instructions from the architects.
It would be more fair to say it was the firm I worked for who were good at
following instructions.
I guess the reference provided was more about areas which they felt positive
about themselves.
A bit like the opposite of when someone transfers their failings unto you.
However, with hindsight there was one matter un-addressed which I did not
know about.
If two people get precisely the same reference, lets say quite good, though
a tad bland.
Now let's say one of those two is a university graduate.
What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.

Patrick

Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
JennyC

"tuin man" wrote in message
Not being entirely familiar with Belgium customs, I don't know whether I
will really need references to gain employment.

snip

Now let's say one of those two is a university graduate.
What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.
Patrick

I think it's all luck of the draw really. Most references are either positive or
at worst non-committal, so they are not exactly the defining thing when
employers are looking for staff.

Your CV is far more important, and this must make a good impression before they
ever get around to reading the references. Short sharp and to the point with
maybe a photo so they can 'see' who you are (works for me).

Getting asked to an interview is vital, but then it really depends whether it
'clicks' between the personalities involved (she says, speaking from
experience!)

Good luck.
Jenny

Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Anna Kettle

I used to write lots of work references at one time and I did it by
ommission so that everything that I _did_ write was positive, and any
negative points had to be inferred. Like if I made no mention of XXX's
timekeeping but mention that XXX had a good rapport with his workmates
that meant that XXX turned up for work late, skived off early and
spent the intervening time by the tea urn!

Is this a horticulture-culture thing?

No I think it happens in all walks of life

What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.

In my opinion the main thing a degree shows is someone's
"stickability" ie it shows that on a wet Wednesday in the winter of
the second year when it all seemed too much they _didn't_ chuck it all
in but kept slogging on to the end and a result. I suppose a degree
also shows that the person has developed analysis skills and wide
experience of the local pubs.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
VivienB

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:34:45 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

That said, over the years I've had a few and was left wondering is there
some special way of reading them, as in decoding.
The reason being that I can recall the distinct differences between
reference I've obtained from landlords and employers. (all horticultural
related)

When writing a reference, I am told you have to be careful not to
write anything which may be interpreted as preventing the person
getting a job, for legal reasons (ie you/your company could be 'done'
for damages). And if the employee really isn't any good, you want rid
of him/her too! Thus references have to be blandly positive, although
there must not be any outright lies, or the new employer may have a
case against you. As a result, there are a number of terms and phrases
which do need careful interpretation.

It is especially difficult to write a general-purpose reference (that
is not for a specific, known, potential employer), as you do not know
what is likely to be of most interest to a new employer.

As for the reference you got which mentioned following instructions,
do not be insulted! There is nothing more annoying in any employee
than one who decides to do what s/he fancies rather than what they are
asked to do, whether they know what they are about or not. I imagine
this is especially important to architects and the like who have
speciified clearly what they want (in agreement with the client).
Initiative has its place and time, but it takes gumption to know when
and where that is - something you obviously have, maybe if they had
credited you with that, you wouldn't have been quite so put out?

Regards, VivienB