Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Anna Kettle

Default OT Writing references / interpreting them

I used to write lots of work references at one time and I did it by
ommission so that everything that I _did_ write was positive, and any
negative points had to be inferred. Like if I made no mention of XXX's
timekeeping but mention that XXX had a good rapport with his workmates
that meant that XXX turned up for work late, skived off early and
spent the intervening time by the tea urn!

Is this a horticulture-culture thing?

No I think it happens in all walks of life

What gaps in the reference are automatically filled by graduate success.
In other words, what areas of abilities need to be highlighted within a
reference for a non-graduate, in order to level the playing field?
And preferably landscape / gardening related.

In my opinion the main thing a degree shows is someone's
"stickability" ie it shows that on a wet Wednesday in the winter of
the second year when it all seemed too much they _didn't_ chuck it all
in but kept slogging on to the end and a result. I suppose a degree
also shows that the person has developed analysis skills and wide
experience of the local pubs.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642