Old 22-07-2004, 07:14 PM
K. B.

Default Stopping creeping red fescue

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
news:LP%Jc.108423$XM6.65113@attbi_s53...
I thought I was installing a root barrier when I dug a 1 foot deep trench
around the bed, lined it with weed block from Home Depot, back filled it
with dirt, folded it over into the garden on top of the dirt, and laid
native rocks to hold it in place. The creeping red fescue seems to grow
right across and through the barrier. I can get the stuff on top, but the
stuff that grows through the weed block is what's killing me. It grows a
good distance befopre coming up, and it does not stop coming!

I believe it was Easy gardener weed block that Home depot had at the time.

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Any idea's on how to keep Creeping red fescue out of my rose and

flower
gardens? It seems to grow over under and around anything in its path

excpet
concretre walls 4 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I am getting tired of

pulling
it.

Keep your beds edged, and if that doesn't work well, then install a root
barrier like you would for bamboo. Ornamec (active ingredient fluziflop
p-butyl) can be sprayed safely around the roses to kill the grass that

has
made it into the beds. It may take a couple of applications, but it

works
on even bermuda, aka, devil grass.

Better Living through ROUNDUP. You have to leave the plant for a couple of
weeks for the chemical to get to the root and kill it at the root.

Better living through 3" of bark mulch. Only the most hearty of plants can
push up through 3" (final depth) of bark.

Better living through PREEN. Use a preemergent OUTSIDE of your shrub's drip
line. THis will prevent germination.

I love roundup.

KB