Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Who regulates lawn services? (ChemLawn)

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I figure they must have a commercial "applicators license" to use
herbicides. Who issues that license?

The *******s treated my neighbor's back yard last week, and they sprayed
2,4-d through the fence and into my vegetable garden. I recognized the
twisted new growth as being herbicide damage before I even found the
little ChemLawn sign in their front yard.

While I was writing down the phone number from the little sign, another
neighbor came by and said he's complained to ChemLawn before about them
leaving Weed-n-Feed granules all over the sidewalk when they were done.

One thing I was unclear of from your post: did you actually see the
ChemLawn guy spraying or do you just have a strong suspicion? (I'm not
doubting that it happened as you say it did, but I also know that in

court
you'd need more than strong circumstantial evidence in a situation like
this.)

I have strong circumstantial evidence, but IMHO physical evidence is
stronger than the testimony of one eye witness. Ideally, I would have
videotape, or physical evidence plus a half-dozen eye witnesses... but
if I'd known ahead of time that this was going to happen I could have
confronted the guy.

I like the idea of catching him on video next time, but I don't have the
means to do that. I may try to find out when they are coming back to
this neighborhood and plan to be home that day.

Meanwhile, I can complain to whoever issued their business license,
franchise, pesticide license, etc. If any of these are suspended for a
while, they could lose a lot of customers when they can't fullfill their
season-long lawn service contracts.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Although it won't help in your present dilemma, get in touch with your
county & state legislators and see if anyone's already discussing the idea
of forcing the lawn spray idiots to give neighbors 2-3 days' notice before
they treat lawns. It's gone back and forth in my county legislature.
Unfortunately, the chemical companies are still playing golf with the right
people in government, but we're closing to having a law here.