Old 22-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Bruce Yates

Default Gopher solotions

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:30:11 GMT, Al wrote:

This year, for whatever reason, we have had a major influx of gopher
attack in our garden. Internet search points mostly to electronic
"chaser" devices. Anyone have experience with these? Successful?

Over the last 15 years I have dealt with hundreds of gophers on my
half acre lot. There are only two surefire ways to get rid of them.

The first is gopher traps. You must use two traps. About $5 in any
feed or farm store.

Find the tunnel by pushing a long rod or screwdriver into the ground
between two mounds until you feel it give. That will locate the
tunnel. Use post hole diggers to dig down and expose the tunnel. You
may have to use the screwdriver to scrape dirt away from the sides to
locate the holes. There will be at least two, one from each direction.
Place a trap in each and cover big hole with leaves or something that
will let a little light in. Be sure to tie the traps to some sort of
stake (tomato stakes work well). A big gohper can carry a trap off or
into the tunnel.

The second is to expose the tunnel in the same way and put a couple of
tablespoons of Drano (lye) in the tunnel and cover back up. They get
it on their feet and it kills them when they lick it off. If you do
this make sure to be very careful if you have pets. Don't want any
exposed that they can get hold of.

Hope this helps.

Bruce