Old 23-07-2004, 08:02 PM
vsiddali

Default Easter Lily question

I am in northern suburb of Washington D.C., think it is zone 6a may
be. I planted many Asiatic lilyis(sp?) and they were doing just fine
for a while. I got interested in flowers when I saw the flowers on
Princes Diana's casket. I wanted to plant them and I did. But slowly
they are becoming smaller group. The pink one I think Star Gazer was
absolutely beautifull but, they start by leaves turning to yellow and
slowly they do not come the next year any more. The pink one is gone
and now the white ones (oh they are so gargeous and smell so good,
right now they are in bloom) are also experiencing the same. I am
afraid I am going to loose'm all. What do I do?

"Jimbo" wrote in message ...
I am in zone 9B/10a. I have been raising red amaryllis successfully for a
few years. Last spring I bought ten Easter Lily plants in bloom right after
easter. I put them in somewhat larger pots, adding the best miracle gro
potting soil. The red amaryllis are enduring the summer just fine, as usual,
however almost all the easter lillies have (or appear to have) died. Are
they really dead, or will they sprout again in the spring like tulip bulbs?
I am under the impression easter Lillies can't take direct sun, unlike the
red amaryllis, so I have kept them in the shade under a tree.
I think the Easter Lillies are close cousins of the red amaryllis, are they
not? (But then the red amaryllis does have a different shape, not having any
central plant stalk)