Old 23-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Jimbo

Default Easter Lily question

I am in zone 9B/10a. I have been raising red amaryllis successfully for a
few years. Last spring I bought ten Easter Lily plants in bloom right after
easter. I put them in somewhat larger pots, adding the best miracle gro
potting soil. The red amaryllis are enduring the summer just fine, as usual,
however almost all the easter lillies have (or appear to have) died. Are
they really dead, or will they sprout again in the spring like tulip bulbs?
I am under the impression easter Lillies can't take direct sun, unlike the
red amaryllis, so I have kept them in the shade under a tree.
I think the Easter Lillies are close cousins of the red amaryllis, are they
not? (But then the red amaryllis does have a different shape, not having any
central plant stalk)

Old 23-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jimbo" wrote in message
[...]

By "last spring" do you mean this past Easter? If so, Easter lilies (Lilium
longiflorum) are typically greenhouse grown and forced into bloom for that
particular season. In a garden setting their bloom time will be
significantly later, generally mid to late June here in the PNW. As with all
true lilies, once their bloom time is over, the stalks will slowly dry up
and when totally brown and dry, can be removed. If drainage is correct (very
important with most true lilies), the bulb will produce a new shoot early
next spring and bloom at its proper time.

Lilies and amaryllis are not really very closely related - two separate
plant families entirely (Liliaceae and Amaryllidaceae).

pam - gardengal

Old 23-07-2004, 08:02 PM
vsiddali

I am in northern suburb of Washington D.C., think it is zone 6a may
be. I planted many Asiatic lilyis(sp?) and they were doing just fine
for a while. I got interested in flowers when I saw the flowers on
Princes Diana's casket. I wanted to plant them and I did. But slowly
they are becoming smaller group. The pink one I think Star Gazer was
absolutely beautifull but, they start by leaves turning to yellow and
slowly they do not come the next year any more. The pink one is gone
and now the white ones (oh they are so gargeous and smell so good,
right now they are in bloom) are also experiencing the same. I am
afraid I am going to loose'm all. What do I do?

Old 23-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Christopher Green

"Jimbo" wrote in message ...
I am in zone 9B/10a. I have been raising red amaryllis successfully for a
few years. Last spring I bought ten Easter Lily plants in bloom right after
easter. I put them in somewhat larger pots, adding the best miracle gro
potting soil. The red amaryllis are enduring the summer just fine, as usual,
however almost all the easter lillies have (or appear to have) died. Are
they really dead, or will they sprout again in the spring like tulip bulbs?
I am under the impression easter Lillies can't take direct sun, unlike the
red amaryllis, so I have kept them in the shade under a tree.
I think the Easter Lillies are close cousins of the red amaryllis, are they
not? (But then the red amaryllis does have a different shape, not having any
central plant stalk)

They're not closely related, they're different families. The amaryllis
(actually Hippeastrum, unless you have something like A. belladonna)
bulbs are much more tolerant of summer conditions. And Easter lilies
are forced for Easter (if left to their own devices, they'd bloom in
June) and often don't survive the experience. True lilies of any kind
need a green thumb in summer-dry climates.

--
Chris Green
Old 25-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Zemedelec

You might try growing Phillipine lilies---they love New Orleans weather and
partia al sun, look very much like Easter lilies but bloom in midsummer, and
grow
zemedelec