Old 24-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Nire?

At 03:47 PM 7/24/04 +0200, Henrik Gistvall wrote:
To my knowledge (wich I´m sure will be corrected) the "nire" stands for
a corkbark variety of chinese elm, zelkova and japanese maple.

Henrik

That's not my understanding. All the plants labeled 'Nire' that I have seen
out here have typical creamy exfoliating bark typical of the species Ulmus
parvifolia. I think I have tracked down most, if not all the U.p. cork bark
cultivars, but am always looking for more. To my knowledge, they a

'Corticosa' (but I bet this is one of those generic names and there is more
than one genotype)

'Seiju'
'Yatsubusa'
'Hokkaido'

I have several 'Hokkaido' sports that appear to be different genotypes from
the above, but I am growing out individuals to see if these are really
different and whether the changes are stable. 'Hokkaido' produces a lot of
sports.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++