Old 25-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Rod

Default Alister Stella Gray climbing rose

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:12:18 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

Although I didn't make the connection at the time, I suspect the
mistake occurred at Wheatcroft Roses - Harry Wheatcroft himself told
me all about it and then went on to detail the efforts they made to
eradicate the unscented form and re-establish the original.
Wheatcrofts could not be blamed for this and nor can anyone be blamed
non-visible, degenerate forms of old roses entering the trade. Even
nowadays with their popularity well past its zenith, they are still
mass produced and mass production does lead to rogue plants.

Hmmm.................it would be interesting if you could pin down the
dates for this. Wheatcroft Roses or Harry Wheatcroft and Sons? I was
working at HW & Sons during 1967/8/9 and I can't remember hearing
about this, though as a very junior employee I wouldn't hear the
management talk. The Ena Harkness I took to shows for them was
certainly fragrant. Dunno about what I was budding because we were
just issued every morning with bundles of budwood without flowers. It
was already well known then that Gloire de Dijon was a shadow of its
former self and it happened with Super Star soon after, though that
was soon superceded by better varieties in that colour range.
Rod

Weed my address to reply