Old 25-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Maggie's Mom

Default Stopping creeping red fescue

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Bark mulch: 3" or more is needed ($$$$). That's because it works by
cutting off the light to the weeds sprouting. But even hemlock/pine mix
is running $29 per yard here in the Boston area.

I seem to have the same problem, though not with fescue. Pueblo CO is wet
this year, and I have variety of grasses and other unwanted stuff in my rose
garden. Considering that I work and go to school, I do not have the luxury
of time to spend hours on end weeding between the roses.
My question is: what do you think about combination of double the weed
blocking fabric with about 2" of bark mulch on top of it? Will that do the
weeds in? Would there be a danger to roses because of the possibility of
overheating?

I have soaker hoses buried around the rose plants, they seem to do pretty
good job watering without spraying on the plants. Would soaker hoses be a
problem under the weed blocking fabric + 2" of mulch?

Thanks for any input on the subject - Maggie's Mom.