Old 25-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Rod

Default Alister Stella Gray climbing rose

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:09:15 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

If I remember correctly, I was told this in the very early '70's when
Harry used to visit our summer shows. We ( I was plants manager for
Webbs at Wychbold at the time) used to put on a pretty impressive
summer show with Wheatcroft roses, Blackmore & Langdons incredible
show Begonias and Delphs, Wills Fuchsias and Fibrex for Pelargoniums,
Ferns and Ivies. Not exactly Chelsea, but a rather splendid effort
nonetheless.

Old Harry used to arrive - ever the showman, in white suit, panama and
white Rolls Royce. I took the opportunity to chat with him whenever I
could - he had so many fascinating tales to tell and relished the
opportunity to tell them at the drop of a hat. At the time there were
pretty strong connections between Webbs and Wheatcrofts - so much so
that the Sales Manager was married to one of the Keys girls (Fibrex)
and I think it was Chris Wheatcroft who married one of the other
sisters.

Thanks for that, very interesting, I never heard much about/from
Wheatcrofts after I left so it's nice to have some update.
When I was there the great man's main winter sport was going round the
packing sheds in shirt sleeves and shorts and turning the heaters off.
In summer he went to the shows which was bad news for us lesser
mortals, if he was on the stand nobody wanted to talk to us - they
wanted the man himself so we got no commission.
BTW they were very good at training late entrants to the industry and
David & Chris were way ahead of the pack in terms of managing and
motivating a workforce.
F.A.B. (Fab) Newnham the nursery manager during my time was an
excellent grower, he left shortly after me to manage a big new garden
centre nr Nottingham.
I can't be sure, but I think the problem had been sorted well before
then - we were main agents for Wheatcrofts and when I first took the
job, I remember some customers eyeing Ena suspiciously.

Probably before I started working in horticulture.

If ever a star should fall from grace so spectacularly it was 'Super
Star'. To my mind it was the epitome of plant style over substance.
Yes the colour was a breakthrough,

Yes it wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the market but for the
colour.
I suppose I can defend that stance by the fact that gallicas can be
heavily mildewed and yet not lose any vigour.

Yes I still grow one or two Gallicas.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.