Old 27-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default How long for cuttings to root?

The message
from (Roy) contains these words:

I have had my cuttings from a Dutchmans pipe vine in hormone and
potting type soil now for over two weeks. They have not wilted or
drooped and look fine. The entire pot of clippings are inside a
plastic teepee affair so its like being in a greenhouse. It gets full
sun all day ong, and each evening, I o pen it up to allow a change of
air. They appear to be thriving, but am leary on pullinng out any
shoots to see if they have delveloped roots yet, so what would be a
good time frame to check........1 month 2 months or ?

I don't know anything about Dutchmans pipe; but in general, if you
just have to know what's going on in a pot of cuttings (as we all do)

either; look at the pot drainage holes, to see if any little new root
tips are appearing yet.

Or, very gently tap the pot, support the top surface of the soil with
the fingers of one hand, and partially slide off the pot, leaving the
soil still intact in the shape of the pot, as if you were going to make
a sandpie. If the cuttings are rooting, you'll see some new roots at the
edge of the sandpie.

Janet.