Old 23-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Roy

Default How long for cuttings to root?

I have had my cuttings from a Dutchmans pipe vine in hormone and
potting type soil now for over two weeks. They have not wilted or
drooped and look fine. The entire pot of clippings are inside a
plastic teepee affair so its like being in a greenhouse. It gets full
sun all day ong, and each evening, I o pen it up to allow a change of
air. They appear to be thriving, but am leary on pullinng out any
shoots to see if they have delveloped roots yet, so what would be a
good time frame to check........1 month 2 months or ?

This is the first time I have ever tried rooting anything so I am sort
of in the dark.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 23-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:43:04 +0000, Roy wrote:

I have had my cuttings from a Dutchmans pipe vine in hormone and
potting type soil now for over two weeks. They have not wilted or
drooped and look fine. The entire pot of clippings are inside a
plastic teepee affair so its like being in a greenhouse. It gets full
sun all day ong, and each evening, I o pen it up to allow a change of
air. They appear to be thriving, but am leary on pullinng out any
shoots to see if they have delveloped roots yet, so what would be a
good time frame to check........1 month 2 months or ?

A month may good but remember, some things take longer than others. If
they have not wilted they are probably rooting. Wait another 2-3.

Old 23-07-2004, 07:30 PM
David Ross

Roy wrote:

I have had my cuttings from a Dutchmans pipe vine in hormone and
potting type soil now for over two weeks. They have not wilted or
drooped and look fine. The entire pot of clippings are inside a
plastic teepee affair so its like being in a greenhouse. It gets full
sun all day ong, and each evening, I o pen it up to allow a change of
air. They appear to be thriving, but am leary on pullinng out any
shoots to see if they have delveloped roots yet, so what would be a
good time frame to check........1 month 2 months or ?

This is the first time I have ever tried rooting anything so I am sort
of in the dark.

I really would not leave cuttings in direct sunlight. While they
need strong indirect light, they can cook in their "plastic
teepee".

Also, you should use a potting mix that contains no compost or
nutrients (both of which help your cuttings to rot rather than
root). A 50-50 mix of sand and peat moss is excellent.

I have rooted some houseplants in less than two weeks. Azaleas
took over three months. The time varies extensively, based on the
plant. Herbaceous cuttings (e.g., perennials) generally take less
time than woody cuttings. Plants that naturally root wherever they
touch soil (e.g., via runners) take the least amount of time. Plan
on 1/3 to 1/2 of the cuttings to fail (just as not all seeds sprout
and not all transplants survive).

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/