Old 27-07-2004, 05:33 AM
Beecrofter

Default Questions about growing bulbs in containers.

(Reneeshay) wrote in message . com...
I live near Boston in Zone 6. Currently I am growing some vegetables
and herbs in my containers. When they are done for the summer, I want
to replace the soil and plant bulbs.

I am thinking of growing crocus, hyacinths and tulips.

Will the bulbs grow in the spring? My containers are made of plastic
and they are big. I have the option of storing them in the basement.
If I do that, when should I take them outside?

If they can make it through our winters in containers, should/could I
allow snow to pack on them and stay for long periods?

Any recommendations on a mail order store for bulbs, such as Parks?

Thanks for your help!

Reneeshay

Best to plunge the pots in soil up to the rim and give them a good
cover of mulch because if the pots sit on the surface they won't
benefit from the warmth of the ground. A few good freeze thaw cycles
and the bulbs turn to mush.
After they have had a good 8 weeks or more of cold you can pry them
out of the ground and force them on a cool porch or windowsill.