Old 26-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Questions about growing bulbs in containers.

"Reneeshay" wrote in message
om...
I live near Boston in Zone 6. Currently I am growing some vegetables
and herbs in my containers. When they are done for the summer, I want
to replace the soil and plant bulbs.

I am thinking of growing crocus, hyacinths and tulips.

Will the bulbs grow in the spring? My containers are made of plastic
and they are big. I have the option of storing them in the basement.
If I do that, when should I take them outside?

If they can make it through our winters in containers, should/could I
allow snow to pack on them and stay for long periods?

Any recommendations on a mail order store for bulbs, such as Parks?

Thanks for your help!

Reneeshay

It worked for me most of the time, in Rochester NY, zone 5. The only problem
I occasionally had was when the first big freeze was preceded by heavy rain.
The soil in the pots got soaked, froze, expanded, and cracked the pots. But,
that happened just once or twice in 20 years. Be prepared to inspect the
pots in February, *before* the soil defrosts. This way, if a pot is cracked,
you can move the lump of soil into a new pot without it falling apart and
dumping your bulbs all of the place.

Yes - you want snow cover. Based on my experience, crocuses don't suffer
much if they bloom early, but the others - unknown. Around here, crocuses
sometimes send up a few leaves if the weather turns briefly mellow in
January. They quickly figure out that it's too early, and they come back
later. At the end of winter, keep an eye on your pots. If it's warm enough
to melt the snow, and that's followed by tons of rain, make sure the soil's
not becoming mud. If necessary, move them under the eaves or some other
partial shelter.

Try this for some really interesting bulbs:
www.whiteflowerfarm.com
It's a retail place *and* a mail-order outfit, in Litchfield, CT. But, be
very careful with the web site. Whatever you do, avoid the "Fall Blooming
Bulbs" page. Otherwise, you might be exposed to 4 varieties of Colchicum and
end up spending more money than you budgeted. Great plants, but don't look
at them.

If you accidentally click the "Bulbs for Shade" section, cover your eyes
before you run across Erythronium, also known as the Trout Lily. On the same
page, you should avoid reading about Anemones and Chiondoxa. How many pots
do you have room for?

For some of the common tulip, crocus & hyacinth varieties, you're probably
better off just going to a local garden center. If White Flower sells the
same varieties, they're probably overpriced. Look there for the stuff you
won't find easily in local stores. If you'd like to browse another source,
try:

www.dutchbulbs.com
This is van Bourgondien, a very old supplier of bulbs. Their quantity deals
used to be quite good, but I haven't done any comparisons in many years.

-Doug