Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Question about vanilla!

It doesn't really need medium -- just something to climb. If you are in a
tropical climate, just tie it to the base of a tree. Otherwise, make a
good-size trellis [largest that you can move in to protect for winter], and
try to train it to grow around rather than straight up -- planifolia grows
FAST once it gets started!

V. pompona is slower growing, but more cold-tolerant -- ours [growing up a
pine tree] was set back, but not killed, by a couple of near-freezes last
winter. V. planifolia will not tolerate that much cold.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

I have a piece ( stem ) of Vanilla Plenifolia rooting in water and I was
wondering what kind of media to use?
Anyone tried the S/H?
Any Vanilla growers out there?

thanks