Old 28-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default japanese knotweed

The message
from "gntry" contains these words:

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

My son moved to a place with a walled city garden which was
wall-to-wall,solid 12ft high JKW. We cut, dried and burned it, and as
soon as new shoots appeared (fast) they were pulled up before they
reached ankle height. Pulling does more damage to the plant than
cutting.

You really have to keep on top of all the re-growth before it develops
enough leaves to photosynthesise. That way you gradually starve the
roots to death. Don't compost the pulled shoots or throw them on waste
ground. It was a continuous effort for two growing seasons but it
worked.

Janet.