Old 23-07-2004, 11:02 AM
gntry

Default japanese knotweed

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

Thanks,
Cg

Old 23-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Vox Humana

"gntry" wrote in message
Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

There has been a lot of discussion here about that topic. If no one
responds, you can do a search of this group using "Japanese knotweed" as key
words.
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Old 23-07-2004, 06:13 PM

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:01:35 -0400, "gntry" wrote:

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

Thanks,
Cg

I haven't completely eradicated it, but it definitely is unhappy and
not growing back with its usual gusto. Chopping it down or rooting it
out are useless. It starts panicking and then grows and spreads even
faster. Poison is what I've reluctantly resorted to, Roundup extra
strength.

Swyck
Old 23-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:01:35 -0400, "gntry" wrote:

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

Thanks,
Cg

I haven't completely eradicated it, but it definitely is unhappy and
not growing back with its usual gusto. Chopping it down or rooting it
out are useless. It starts panicking and then grows and spreads even
faster. Poison is what I've reluctantly resorted to, Roundup extra
strength.

I saw a website that recommended injecting herbicide into the main stem.

Old 23-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "gntry" contains these words:

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

My son moved to a place with a walled city garden which was
wall-to-wall,solid 12ft high JKW. We cut, dried and burned it, and as
soon as new shoots appeared (fast) they were pulled up before they
reached ankle height. Pulling does more damage to the plant than
cutting.

You really have to keep on top of all the re-growth before it develops
enough leaves to photosynthesise. That way you gradually starve the
roots to death. Don't compost the pulled shoots or throw them on waste
ground. It was a continuous effort for two growing seasons but it
worked.

Janet.

Old 26-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Ann

"gntry" expounded:

Has anyone had any success in eradicating this terrible annoyance?

Thanks,
Cg

One of the only plants I'll haul out the big guns for. You can pull
it until the cow come home, you might succeed, if you're vigilant
enough.

You can hit it with Roundup as it flowers, for some reason the plant
is very weak then and susceptible. Follow up any stragglers in 6
weeks. I dislike using chemicals, this is one of two plants I will
use them against. The other is poison ivy.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA