Old 25-07-2004, 09:22 AM
phil tomlinson

Default Orchid name etymology

Hi

There are many botanical books that give ythe derivation of many plant
names. One that I frequently use is by L H Bailey "How plants get thier
names".SSN 0-486-20796-X Dover Publications New York The first
edition was published in 1933, with a number of later editions. It does
not cover every name, but will esplalin many names. If this is not
still available, I am sure there are other similar publications available.

Phil

John DeGood wrote:
I am often curious about the origin of orchid names. Is there an
etymology reference available? Several examples:

Species

- Is D. nobile named after the Italian aeronautical engineer and Arctic
explorer Umberto Nobile?

Grex

- What about the more than 100 "Nobile's xxxxx", e.g. there are 52 grex
names of this form just within Blc., ranging from Blc. Nobile's Advance
through Blc. Nobile's Yolk?

Cultivar

- Do the numerous "Mendenhall" cultivars all originate from Carter &
Holmes Orchids, which is located on Mendenhall Road?

John