Old 29-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Scott Harper

Default Chaste Tree (vitex agnus-castus)

In article , (Gary Brady) wrote:

And yes, they start easily from cuttings. Take cuttings from the ends
of the branches where new growth is less woody and put into potting
soil. I think I used rooting hormone but don't know if it really
makes a difference. I have 7-8 trees that I've started from cuttings.
Drip irrigation through the hot months really helps when they're
young, but after established, they do fine with just rain. Irrigation
makes them grow a lot faster, though.

That sounds pretty good.. Anybody in the Northwest part of town have
any they'd let me take cuttings from?

About the deer... I was wondering if they'd need any special protection
as a very small plant (eg, one started from cuttings) until they got
established. A tomato cage would probably do the trick...

scott