Old 28-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Scott Harper

Default Chaste Tree (vitex agnus-castus)

I recall a discussion here recently regarding the Chaste Tree...

Quick checks on the web seem to have differing opinion on whether or not
vitex is deer resistant... Anyone have any real world experience to
share?

Also, can vitex be propogated from cuttings?

Thanks..

scott
Old 29-07-2004, 03:16 AM
MrChaos007

Scott Harper wrote:
I recall a discussion here recently regarding the Chaste Tree...

Quick checks on the web seem to have differing opinion on whether or not
vitex is deer resistant... Anyone have any real world experience to
share?

Also, can vitex be propogated from cuttings?

Thanks..

scott

It can indeed by propogated from cuttings and I have lots and lots of
seeds!

Dave
www.gardensoftheancients.com
Old 29-07-2004, 03:31 AM
J Kolenovsky

I thought I'd submit the Native Plant Society of Texas Deer Resistant
list for this inquiry:

http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html

Ornamentals Readily Propagated from Cuttings
Abelia Flowering Quince Pittosporum Aucuba
Forsythia Photinia Azalea Gardenia
Pyracantha Barberry Holly Rose
Boxwood Honeysuckle Spirea Butterfly Bush
Hydrangea Tea Olive Camellia Hypericum
Viburnum Cotoneaster Juniper Weigela
Crape Myrtle Ligustrum Willow Elaeagnus
Oleander Vitex Euonymus

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/jackson/news...inter98/3.html
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b641-w.html

Propagation of Vitex cuttings:

Propagation
Seed - sow March in a warm greenhouse. The seed does not need
pre-treatment[113]. Germination is usually free and quick[113]. Prick
out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to
handle and grow them on in the greenhouse for their first winter. Plant
them out into their permanent positions in early summer of the following
year.

Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.
Good percentage[78].

Cuttings of mature wood of the current seasons growth, November in a
cold frame[113].

J. Kolenovsky
VP, NPSOT - Houston Chapter
A+, N+, MCP till I discovered landscaping

Scott Harper wrote:
=

I recall a discussion here recently regarding the Chaste Tree...
=

Quick checks on the web seem to have differing opinion on whether or no=

vitex is deer resistant... Anyone have any real world experience to
share?
=

Also, can vitex be propogated from cuttings?
=

Thanks..
=

scott

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 29-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Gary Brady

Quick checks on the web seem to have differing opinion on whether or not
vitex is deer resistant... Anyone have any real world experience to
share?

Also, can vitex be propogated from cuttings?

The deer never seem to bother my chaste trees, and I have a lot of
deer. Crush the leaves and you'll get a strong, creosote-like smell.
I believe this is what repels them.

And yes, they start easily from cuttings. Take cuttings from the ends
of the branches where new growth is less woody and put into potting
soil. I think I used rooting hormone but don't know if it really
makes a difference. I have 7-8 trees that I've started from cuttings.
Drip irrigation through the hot months really helps when they're
young, but after established, they do fine with just rain. Irrigation
makes them grow a lot faster, though.

Gary
Old 29-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Cindy

I'm in Spring, just north of Houston, and I have a vitex that I love. Got
it about 3 years ago and it has made a beautiful, flowing shrub probably 15'
tall and that across. I hadn't trimmed it much, but I had to this year
because the rain was dragging the branches to the ground. It has medium
lavender flowers. Now at a nursery nearby there are a bunch of them that
have blue flowers, kind of a silvery steely blue. How many different flower
colors are there?

Also I have another vitex species that I got at Lowe's this spring called
Vitex trifolia v. Purpurea, or Arabian vitex. Have no idea if that name is
right, no one at Lowe's knew, of course, and I couldn't find much on it on
the internet. It's really pretty, has velvety looking 2-3" leaves, medium
green with sort of an olivey tint, with lavender on the undersides and
lavender veins. It looks silvery-purple from a distance. It's flower
spikes are less dense than the chaste tree, with larger flowers in a sky
blue with a touch of lavender. It is the coolest shrub! According to what
I found online, is is an openly branched, somewhat spreading shrub, probably
growing 6-8' tall. From east and southeast Asia and Australia, probably
hardy to 20 degrees. I hope it's more hardy than that.

Cindy

Old 29-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Cindy

Yes! I just wish I had property! I have a big back yard, but I'm just too
limited on space to have all the plants I want.....

Cindy

escapee wrote:
The blue you are talking about is probably 'Carolina Blue.' I have
that one. It is just beautiful.

Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:30:31 GMT, "Cindy"
opined:

[...]

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a
friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

Old 31-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Gary Brady

It has medium
lavender flowers. Now at a nursery nearby there are a bunch of them that
have blue flowers, kind of a silvery steely blue. How many different

flower
colors are there?

I have one with white flowers and all the rest are the blue that you
describe above.

Gary

Old 31-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Cindy

Gary Brady wrote:
It has medium
lavender flowers. Now at a nursery nearby there are a bunch of them
that have blue flowers, kind of a silvery steely blue. How many
different flower colors are there?

I have one with white flowers and all the rest are the blue that you
describe above.

Gary

Huh. Well, if someone wants seeds from my lilac-flowered one, let me know.
There are LOTS of them.

Cindy

Old 02-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Quercus1958

I have a Vitex, about five years old. Deer have never touched it. And, I
have A LOT of deer here in Dripping Springs.

Here is a list of trees they haven't touched:

Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum
Huicache
Mexican Plum
Flame Leaf Sumac
Chitalpa
Robinia "Purple Robe"
Mexican Redbud
Texas Redbud
Yaupon Holly (they LOVE Possumhaw)
Desert Willow
Mesquite
Mexican Sycamore
Jujube
Anacacho Orchid Tree
Texas Kidneywood
Arizone Cypress
Lacey Oak
Vasey Oak*
Chinquapin Oak*
Carolina Buckthorn

~Q

*They eat Live Oaks if they can reach them.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Andyd

I have a small one still in a 5 gallon container that I bought at Home
Depot 2-3 weeks ago. To test the deer resistance I placed it behind
my house (unplanted, still in container), where a neighbors fence has
restricted a "deer highway" to less than 30 feet wide. All deer in
the neighborhood come through here, and we have a lot. The plant
remains untouched (at least nothing noticeable), and I saw a family of
5-6 deer there yesterday browsing all around it, as I am sure they
have done for the entire week or two that it has been there.

andyd

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:32:08 GMT, c (Scott
Harper) wrote:

I recall a discussion here recently regarding the Chaste Tree...

Quick checks on the web seem to have differing opinion on whether or not
vitex is deer resistant... Anyone have any real world experience to
share?

Also, can vitex be propogated from cuttings?

Thanks..

scott

Vitex agnus-castus - fragrant? Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 9 15-10-2014 04:47 PM
Vitex Kate Morgan United Kingdom 11 08-10-2006 11:40 PM
Texas Lilac "vitex" tree? John Texas 6 09-08-2005 10:50 PM
Vitex Trees cal Texas 5 13-11-2004 10:54 PM
Vitex (was: Source for Viburnum rufidulum) Mike Prager Gardening 5 05-05-2004 04:02 PM