Old 29-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Cindy

Default Chaste Tree (vitex agnus-castus)

I'm in Spring, just north of Houston, and I have a vitex that I love. Got
it about 3 years ago and it has made a beautiful, flowing shrub probably 15'
tall and that across. I hadn't trimmed it much, but I had to this year
because the rain was dragging the branches to the ground. It has medium
lavender flowers. Now at a nursery nearby there are a bunch of them that
have blue flowers, kind of a silvery steely blue. How many different flower
colors are there?

Also I have another vitex species that I got at Lowe's this spring called
Vitex trifolia v. Purpurea, or Arabian vitex. Have no idea if that name is
right, no one at Lowe's knew, of course, and I couldn't find much on it on
the internet. It's really pretty, has velvety looking 2-3" leaves, medium
green with sort of an olivey tint, with lavender on the undersides and
lavender veins. It looks silvery-purple from a distance. It's flower
spikes are less dense than the chaste tree, with larger flowers in a sky
blue with a touch of lavender. It is the coolest shrub! According to what
I found online, is is an openly branched, somewhat spreading shrub, probably
growing 6-8' tall. From east and southeast Asia and Australia, probably
hardy to 20 degrees. I hope it's more hardy than that.

Cindy