Old 30-07-2004, 09:49 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Greengages

"paul bonner" wrote in message
Help Please

I have a very good crop of greengages coming along. One tree with lot of
billiard ball size fruits.
The problem is that if I leave them on the tree until they are fully ripe
the wasps will get them all.
Can I Pick them just before they are ripe,store them in a cool fridge an

get
a few out to ripen as I want them

Should probably work - it takes a while to judge when they are nearly ripe
but not quite wasp fodder.

We only get a small crop so storing them isn't a problem, but we pick them
before they are quite ripe and then they ripen O.K. off the tree. Can't
leave them too long or the start to go wrinkly.

I have had some success with storing apples in a fridge (small groups in
plastic bags to prevent them drying out and to avoid the bad apple/barrel
syndrome) so this might work for greengages.

If they didn't ripen they would still probably make a very good jam :-)

HTH
Dave R