Old 30-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Les linfoot

Default [IBC] separating a larch air layer

Thanx to Kevin and Jim for their attention on this matter.

Kevin, your advice on the procedure sounds good. Without it I probably
would have cut much too soon and ruined the tree.

Jim, it is zone 8 up here which, according to a website I visited today,
makes its average low temp in the winter comparable to Houston and
Dallas. But I'll move it into the potting shed around the middle of
November just to be safe.

In article 006401c47570$75040080$82102cc7@pavilion,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

Hi Les,

Thanks for unlurking, it's questions like yours that keep the

list
going.

Good start with the Larch but you now need to exercise a lot of
patience. The white roots that you have noted are extremely

brittle and
unlikely to support (in every sense) a layer of any size

greater than
matchstick thick itself. The whole layer should be left as it

is and
watered when necessary for at least a couple of months,

preferably
longer.

If roots are 1" and are touching the plastic already, you could
(extremely carefully) remove the plastic, wrap another layer of

sphagnum
at least as much again in a ball shape around the existing one.

Then
re-wrap with plastic. This is a dangerous manoeuvre though as

the young
roots can easily be damaged. Two pairs of hands would be an

advantage!

When the roots have turned to creamish brown and are coiling

around
inside the layer is about the right time to remove it. This

would be
best done after leaf fall or in spring.

A light and airy soil mix will help prevent any damage. I've

found that
the greatest aid to success after removal is secure tying to

the pot.
ANY movement at this stage usually leads to failure. I don't

attempt to
do any root sorting at first potting time, though some do. I

leave it a
year so they have a chance to harden a little.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I'd think, too, that up where he lives he'd need to give it a LOT
of winter protection so those new roots don't get damaged by the
cold. If I understand Larch (and I probably don't) they normally
need very little winter pampering. A new air layer will, I'd
think.

Some coldie please confirm for him?????

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

**
++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
**
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++