Old 30-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Spider

Default Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

We have just cropped about 3lb of loquats from our Eriobotrya aka Nispero
(Spanish name).
Does anyone else in this ng grow this tree? For those who don't, it's a
very handsome small, evergreen tree with huge, corrugated leaves. It
flowers during autumn/winter .. surviving 'set' flowers start to develop
fruitlets in spring .. they are ripe/ripening now.
We see many of these trees growing and fruiting in the South (we are in
greater London).
Although we've had fruit from the tree before, this is the largest crop we
picked. Maybe the weight could have improved, but we had to harvest the
fruit to stop birds/wasps helping themselves. Has anyone else had a good
crop from their tree? We are really pleased with ours this year, but I'm
sure some of you can beat 3lbs.

We have few cultural problems with the tree, but there has been some
die-back over the last 2-3 years. Also, just one of the fruits was half
covered with some kind of scab or callous. Anyone know what this is, or
experienced it?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.
Spider