Old 30-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Spider

Default Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica)

We have just cropped about 3lb of loquats from our Eriobotrya aka Nispero
(Spanish name).
Does anyone else in this ng grow this tree? For those who don't, it's a
very handsome small, evergreen tree with huge, corrugated leaves. It
flowers during autumn/winter .. surviving 'set' flowers start to develop
fruitlets in spring .. they are ripe/ripening now.
We see many of these trees growing and fruiting in the South (we are in
greater London).
Although we've had fruit from the tree before, this is the largest crop we
picked. Maybe the weight could have improved, but we had to harvest the
fruit to stop birds/wasps helping themselves. Has anyone else had a good
crop from their tree? We are really pleased with ours this year, but I'm
sure some of you can beat 3lbs.

We have few cultural problems with the tree, but there has been some
die-back over the last 2-3 years. Also, just one of the fruits was half
covered with some kind of scab or callous. Anyone know what this is, or
experienced it?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.
Spider

Old 30-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Spider" writes:
| We have just cropped about 3lb of loquats from our Eriobotrya aka Nispero
| (Spanish name).
| Does anyone else in this ng grow this tree? For those who don't, it's a
| very handsome small, evergreen tree with huge, corrugated leaves. It
| flowers during autumn/winter .. surviving 'set' flowers start to develop
| fruitlets in spring .. they are ripe/ripening now.
| We see many of these trees growing and fruiting in the South (we are in
| greater London).

Hmm. Yes, I have grown it (briefly) and have seen it grown fairly
often. It is marginal even in the south, and most of the older
trees were frost-pruned at wall height by winter winds; the very
mild winters of the last decade will have helped it, of course.

It makes quite a good foliage pot plant, and is dead easy to grow
from seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

loquat trees g Texas 10 24-04-2005 01:01 AM
Loquat problem Monty Chatu United Kingdom 2 11-04-2005 09:23 AM
Loquat died David Hare-Scott Gardening 8 14-04-2004 08:32 AM
Loquat died David Hare-Scott Gardening 1 06-04-2004 08:55 PM
Who killed the loquat? David Hare-Scott Australia 0 22-03-2004 09:03 AM