Old 30-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] separating a larch air layer

Jim, it is zone 8 up here which, according to a website I
visited today,
makes its average low temp in the winter comparable to Houston

and
Dallas. But I'll move it into the potting shed around the

middle of
November just to be safe.

I'm in zone 8, too. But it does get cold here for brief
periods -- brief, but long enough to kill a tender set of roots.
I have had it as low as 8 degrees F on my front porch (covered!)
and on occasion have had periods where temps failed to rise above
freezing for 4-5 days. We have several days in the teens every
year (except last year).

Your biggest problem with the larch in zone 8, I suspect, may be
summer heat.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++