Old 26-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Doug Kanter

Default taking care of tools (j)

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Kilroy Bass wrote:

how do you take care of your tools? I notice that my tools, such as my
anvil lopper and shears rust easily if they are placed in the garage. I

don't
have another place where I can store those tools.

is there a spray that would prevent them from rust?

what would be a solution to prevent rust?

Wipe down with a rag soaked in any sort of NON-DRYING oil, such
as used motor oil. Once every 6 or so months, and you're done.

Ask a dermatologist and he/she will confirm that it's not wise to handle
used motor oil, which is why quite a few mechanics wear disposable latex
gloves nowadays. I believe it's been connected with skin cancer.

If you're only going to apply oil to the tools every 6 months, do it with
linseed oil using a piece of rag small enough to fit into a coffee can.
Stick it in the can and light it. No more spontaneous combustion issues.