Old 30-07-2004, 08:28 PM
nutNhoney

Default Best books for biointensive gardening?

dan wrote:

I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

I don't have his book but there is lots of info on the net. I'm doing
SFG for the first time this year. I have 2 - 8' x 10' 1 8" deep and 3 -
8' x 10' x 10" deep raised beds as well as a temporary unraised bed. So
far, everything is growing and healthy. Most of what I have growing was
started from seed. Add a greenhouse if possible. However, I have
already begun pinpointing some of those veggies that aren't producing as
much or are taking up too much room as I would like so I won't be
growing that variety next year. In general, the overall outcome has
been very good though. Some general comments on SFG: planning is a
good thing, look for veggies that can be staked and grown upwards
instead of sprawling, go organic if at all possible, be creative
especially for trellises, dowels are cheap, and have fun! You will
quickly be able to find out what will work for you and what won't.