Old 29-07-2004, 10:14 PM
dan

Default Best books for biointensive gardening?

I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

Old 29-07-2004, 10:32 PM
The Cook

dan wrote:

I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

Some things to think about.

1. You need to figure out is how much of various foods do you need to
be reasonably self sufficient -- numbers of quarts and pints for
example.

2. How much space is needed to grow this amount of food. In order to
preserve 60 quarts of green beans you need 200 feet of plants. And
that assumes a fairly decent harvest.

3. How you are going to preserve and store this amount of food.

Why don't you start out by planting a few foods that your family likes
and increase from that. You may find that it takes a lot of time to
produce and preserve food.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 30-07-2004, 04:03 AM
simy1

dan wrote in message . ..
I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

I have been doing what you want to do for a few years now. I find it
very rewarding. the books you are considering are good books. Since
you are looking at those, I am guessing you don't have a lot of room.
It would help if you specified the zone, area to be cultivated, number
of people in family, how many hours of sun, and soil. some general
comments (if you need to know more, just ask):

1) for intensive gardening, the soil has to be very good. High organic
content, nice nutrient profile, and the texture that comes from years
of compost or organic mulch (and thousands of earthworms). so go
ahead, get a complete test, and then no matter what they say a little
rock phosphate and two years of manuring to get things going. Keep in
mind that the limiting factor for growth is almost always a macro- or
micro-nutrient.

2) some veggies produce a lot, some produce little. much of that "grow
more vegetables" is simply "grow more productive vegetables". If you
have a small area, you better like lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, chard,
or french beans.

3) drip irrigation strongly recommended. I just installed my system
and I can't believe I used to be without. check one of my past posts
for how to.

4) some people can, some people have a root cellar, some people
freeze, some people dry, and I extend my season with hoophouses over
the beds. you can do all, of course, and some veggies are well suited
to some of the techniques (zucchini are great dry, but don't freeze.
peas are exceelent frozen, etc.). I pick my veggies well into january,
and back again in march. I am emotionally attached to veggies, such as
collard and radicchio, that keep top eating quality for months in the
middle of winter at temperatures of 15F.

5) go with the soil, the seasons, and the zone. some stuff just grows
well in your place, and some does not. Lettuce will grow in the fall,
but just not as well as in the spring. Just about every other salad
green will grow better in the fall. carrots in heavy clay are not
great, and favas in sand are poor. Okra does not grow in Seattle, and
zucchini resent part shade. Chard does not like acidic soil, and
potatoes alkaline. zucchini may regularly catch a disease but tomatoes
grow if only given sun and water. etc. etc.

6) you will need some equipment and you will have a learning curve. It
now takes me minutes to start a tray with 288 seedlings. It would take
me half an hour years ago. When you plan your garden, keep efficiency
in mind.

7) perennial herb patch a must.

8) mulch everywhere you will start plants. I just weeded a bed where
the soil was left bare (I ran out of leaves). It took four hours, and
the radicchio had successfully closed its canopy, else it would have
been much worse. Leave bare soil only where you will direct seed. it
is very efficient, as it will reduce your watering and fertilizing,
and alomst eliminate your weeding.
Old 30-07-2004, 06:13 AM
The Watcher

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:14:32 -0600, dan wrote:

I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

I like Square Foot Gardening. It's a good place to start, with plenty of
information, and well thought-out advice about how to garden logically and
efficiently. I've adopted the system for my garden and use the 4 X 4 foot beds.
Old 30-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Tuckermor

how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.

This is very possible, as long as you don't include grains, dairy products, and
oils.

Hardly ever mentioned in books, though, is the most time-consuming part of
all--harvesting, processing (culling, washing, chopping, etc.) and preserving
your harvest.

Jeavons' Grow More Vegetables is excellent, but his yield calculations don't
seem to take into account the inevitable bumps along the way--poor weather,
insects, etc.

There's always something.

Old 30-07-2004, 08:28 PM
nutNhoney

dan wrote:

I would like to learn, starting from almost total gardening ignorance,
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.
Any suggestions on good books or other educational resources?

Any comments on Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" or Jeavon's
"Grow More Vegetables"?

I don't have his book but there is lots of info on the net. I'm doing
SFG for the first time this year. I have 2 - 8' x 10' 1 8" deep and 3 -
8' x 10' x 10" deep raised beds as well as a temporary unraised bed. So
far, everything is growing and healthy. Most of what I have growing was
started from seed. Add a greenhouse if possible. However, I have
already begun pinpointing some of those veggies that aren't producing as
much or are taking up too much room as I would like so I won't be
growing that variety next year. In general, the overall outcome has
been very good though. Some general comments on SFG: planning is a
good thing, look for veggies that can be staked and grown upwards
instead of sprawling, go organic if at all possible, be creative
especially for trellises, dowels are cheap, and have fun! You will
quickly be able to find out what will work for you and what won't.
Old 31-07-2004, 02:44 AM
simy1

ojunk (Tuckermor) wrote in message ...
how to grow a substantial percentage of my family's diet in my back
yard.

This is very possible, as long as you don't include grains, dairy products, and
oils.

chicken are a useful item in the garden. Let them loose into the
garden the month of april, and they will get all earwigs, many if not
most weed seeds, all grubs, and all slugs. Of course, you have to have
another place where to put them after you plant things.

Hardly ever mentioned in books, though, is the most time-consuming part of
all--harvesting, processing (culling, washing, chopping, etc.) and preserving
your harvest.

that's why I prefer tunnels, and fresh salads. Ten minutes of work
every night, or twenty on a winter sunday (harvesting for the whole
week), feel like nothing. the best way to preserve veggies is to leave
them in the garden.

Jeavons' Grow More Vegetables is excellent, but his yield calculations don't
seem to take into account the inevitable bumps along the way--poor weather,
insects, etc.

it takes maybe five years to become 90% efficient. In the meantime,
one learns to do away with all crops except those that are foolproof.
Plus, I always seed a tray of mixed greens in late june (288
seedlings), to fill gaps in july.
my garden does not look nearly like those in gardening books, all
perfect rows of uniform seedlings...
Old 23-08-2004, 11:40 PM

instead of purchasing expensive books (unless you can find some in thrift
stores), why don't you lurk around the news groups and also go to
www.gardenweb.com and some other garden sites and LEARN...to me, best way to
learn is: ASK QUESTIONS!! (remember, the only stupid question is the one
which never got asked!)