Old 01-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Peter

Default What to replace hedge with

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:52:56 +0100, Ben wrote:

nambucca wrote:
Pyracantha

Does pyracantha form a hedge on its own? I've always thought of it as
more of a climber. I've got it growing up a low fence at the moment to
discourage people from climbing over - it would be nice to think that
when the femce finally falls to bits I'll have a ready made hedge there.

Yes it quite definitely does! We have a very dense hedge along our
frontage (That sounds a bit grand but we live in a small semi!).
The hedge is about 2ft 6in wide and about 3ft tall. OK, not very
tall but there are limitations because of the open plan district.

The hedge was planted from cuttings and probably took a couple of
years to merit the title of "Hedge". It is cut twice a year and is
evergreen thoughout the winter. Because of the cutting we do not
get berries. This is a bit sad. However I have no hesitation in
recommending Pyrocantha for a hedge whose purpose is to form an
intrusion resistant boundary.

Peter