Old 31-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Juco

Default What to replace hedge with

I have a leylandi hedge about 10` long which I keep trimmed to about 2
metres trouble is its got to wide (my fault) I would like to replace it but
thinking i will keep leylandi til I get something else. I am looking at
getting whatever and growing them in pots til they reach say about 4 or 5
feet then put them in to replace leylandi. What would be a good replacement
and also one which would be ok to grow in pots for a year or two?

thanks

Old 31-07-2004, 05:43 PM
nambucca

Pyracantha
Bammboos
Escallonia
Eleagnus
mind you they all grow better in the ground than in pots

Better to bite the bullet and get rid of the Leylandii .......pile in the
compost and replant with largest size of above you can find/afford

Old 31-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Ben

nambucca wrote:
Pyracantha

Does pyracantha form a hedge on its own? I've always thought of it as
more of a climber. I've got it growing up a low fence at the moment to
discourage people from climbing over - it would be nice to think that
when the femce finally falls to bits I'll have a ready made hedge there.

Old 31-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Kay

In article , Ben
writes
nambucca wrote:
Pyracantha

Does pyracantha form a hedge on its own? I've always thought of it as
more of a climber. I've got it growing up a low fence at the moment to
discourage people from climbing over - it would be nice to think that
when the femce finally falls to bits I'll have a ready made hedge there.

No, it's not a climber at all. It's perfectly free standing. So yes, it
can make a hedge - especially if you keep pruining it to help it bush
out.
--
Kay

Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
nambucca

"Ben" wrote in message
nambucca wrote:
Pyracantha

Does pyracantha form a hedge on its own? I've always thought of it as
more of a climber. I've got it growing up a low fence at the moment to
discourage people from climbing over - it would be nice to think that
when the femce finally falls to bits I'll have a ready made hedge there.

Just keep trimming /pruning pyracantha it makes a beautiful hedge

Old 01-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Peter

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:52:56 +0100, Ben wrote:

nambucca wrote:
Pyracantha

Does pyracantha form a hedge on its own? I've always thought of it as
more of a climber. I've got it growing up a low fence at the moment to
discourage people from climbing over - it would be nice to think that
when the femce finally falls to bits I'll have a ready made hedge there.

Yes it quite definitely does! We have a very dense hedge along our
frontage (That sounds a bit grand but we live in a small semi!).
The hedge is about 2ft 6in wide and about 3ft tall. OK, not very
tall but there are limitations because of the open plan district.

The hedge was planted from cuttings and probably took a couple of
years to merit the title of "Hedge". It is cut twice a year and is
evergreen thoughout the winter. Because of the cutting we do not
get berries. This is a bit sad. However I have no hesitation in
recommending Pyrocantha for a hedge whose purpose is to form an
intrusion resistant boundary.

Peter