Old 02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Help save a tree

hugh ] wrote in :

Kay wrote in message
.. .
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.

If it's an ash, and was well established, I'd expect it to come back from
the roots if it is cut down to ground level. They are very tough trees. It
will be a long while before it starts looking like a tree again rather than
a bush, of course, and it will probably never get back its original shape.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall