Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Soil for Buttonwoods

I am repotting some recently purchased, collected buttonwoods. I am always
disappointed to see how few roots these plants have. I have one that has been
repotted by me to a 12 inch bulb pan using Metro Mix 500 and I don't think the
roots have spread since I transplanted it a year or more ago. It is still
alive and putting out new growth, just no roots to speak of. Any other tropical
would have filled the pot with roots by now.
My normal fertilizer is Osmocote 14-14-14.
Another buttonwood I just repotted this afternoon was growing in what looked
like a mixture of Florida peat and bark. It had been purchased from a vendor
in South Florida. It had a few more roots, but not many. I know it is over a
year since it was collected.
I have tried bonsai soil of 1/3 Turface, 1/3 gravel and 1/3 composted pine
bark. Those plants are dead.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++